How And When To Modify Child Custody

Tennessee courts will only agree to modification of an existing parenting plan if there is a "substantial" change in circumstances that is affecting the child's best interests. Post-divorce modification is not something that can happen quickly just because one parent is unhappy with the current child custody arrangements.

At Cole Law Group we represent parents across the Nashville area, working to protect their special bonds with their children while also protecting the children's best interests. We can help you understand your rights and options for seeking or contesting a modification to your current custody arrangements.

The Common Grounds For A Modification

It often takes a lot of work for parents to come to an agreement on a parenting plan that determines decision-making authority, where the children will reside, and how they will spend their holidays and school vacations. That is why judges do not grant modifications for just any reason.

Some of the factors that may warrant a modification of custody plans include:

  • Parental relocation: If one parent wants to move away with the child in order to be closer to family or to change jobs, he or she must first seek court approval.
  • Child safety: A physically or emotionally abusive or neglectful parent or partner of that parent could be grounds for modifying where the child resides and whether supervised visitation is necessary.
  • Health: An unhealthy parent may no longer be able to provide the care a child needs while residing under his or her roof. Additionally, one parent may be able to better provide for a child's medical needs.
  • Changes in schedule: Work changes, school changes and other schedule changes could mean an adjustment regarding who picks up the children after school, sports or social activities. This could warrant a modification to the scheduled plan if the parents cannot agree.

Why You Need A Lawyer's Help

If you want to pursue a child custody modification in Tennessee, you must be patient. Do not violate the terms of the plan that is already in place, and do not deny the other parent his or her parenting time.

Our lawyers will walk you through the process and give you a thorough estimation of what you can expect to achieve. We won't advise you to waste money and endure months of litigation that is not likely to result in a positive income or will not improve your children's lives. We will arm you with the information you need to make the right choices about your and your children's future. In many cases, it may be possible to work amicably with your ex to modify the plans and keep everyone happy. If your ex is not respecting your parental rights, we will quickly attempt to remedy the situation.

Do Not Seek A Modification Alone. Call Cole Law Group Today.

We invite you to schedule a consultation today to evaluate your options with an experienced family law and divorce attorney. You can contact us online or call our office in Brentwood at 615-490-6020.